[mythtv-users] Raid configurations

Stephen Tait tait at digitallaw.co.uk
Fri Aug 13 18:28:38 EDT 2004

RAID6 is pretty CPU-intensive (more so than RAID5 IIRC, but I could be
wrong), as there's lots of parities to calculate
http://www.acnc.com/04_01_06.html

Personally, I'd go RAID10 (striped mirrors, and can sustain the loss of up
to two drives in a four drive setup) which would give you 500GB worth of
stripe, but if you need the space, personally I'd stick with RAID5
(possibly sacrificing one of the discs as a hot spare) which would give you
~750GB (can't remember the exact formula).

My usual advice for complex RAID setups is to splash out on a 3ware :) The
only problem with this at the moment is that support for the new 9000
series isn't in any mainstream kernels yet. I'm personally going to be
throwing my backend onto a RAID10 over four 250GB (or more) drives.