[mythtv-users] NVIDIA drivers & 2.6.8-rc2

Kyle Rose krose+mythtv at krose.org
Fri Aug 13 15:04:00 EDT 2004

Wait a sec: this seems to me to be the *other* problem I've
encountered with my dual head setup.

> Oddly enough, mine's a PCI card.  Could you point me to these other
> reports of the same problem?  I can't seem to find the right set of
> keywords.

Ever since I moved to my dual Opteron/Tyan K8W, my dual head (1 AGP +
1 PCI) setup hasn't worked properly with the nvidia proprietary
driver: the 2D performance on the PCI head is TERRIBLE with the nvidia
driver (as in: 1-2 frames per second of DVD viewing; I can see windows
being drawn; etc.).  As a result, I've been forced to use the nvidia
driver on the AGP head and the nv driver on the PCI head, which is
less than optimal but at least gives me decent performance on the PCI
head.

The weird part about this is that the exact same configuration worked
fine on my old system board, a Tyan 2460 with dual Athlons: same two
cards, same software installation.

I've contacted nVidia about this and posted threads about this on
their message board, but got no useful suggestions from them.  A few
other people there have mentioned the same problem, but it doesn't
seem to be a common enough configuration for them to bother fixing it.

What constitutes the rest of your setup?

Cheers,
Kyle