[mythtv-users] Moving files between Backends

Brian Foddy bfoddy at visi.com
Thu Aug 12 21:17:04 EDT 2004

On Thursday 12 August 2004 10:56 am, Josh Renzema wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a rather interesting situation and I am hoping that someone may have
> an idea or two...
>
> I am currently in Sweden and have configured a Myth box (backend and front
> on the same box).  I have the same configuration in the USA as well.
>
> Currently I am recording shows in the USA, exporting them to Xvid using
> nuvexport, and them watching them here in Sweden using a regular movie
> player.
>
> I would like to integrate the two boxes somehow.  Preferably I would like
> to record the shows locally in the USA, then move the recorded files to
> Sweden and have the recorded shows display in the recorded shows area.
>
> I have thought about simply making one a Front-end box, but I don't think
> that will work because of the bandwidth issue - At best I can move about
> 30Kps - not nearly enough to support playback.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas?
>
> Josh

I have moved files between mine and my parents setups.  We both
have about ~1Mbps DSL connections.  Takes about 8 hours for a 1 hour
show.  I simply copy the nuv file from one host to another, then manually
insert a record in the database.  The only quirk is the fast-forward doesn't
work as fast since the playing machine hasn't scanned the recording.  But
it works.

Brian