[mythtv-users] PVR250 Sound but Video is messed

Kyle Rose krose+mythtv at krose.org
Thu Aug 12 16:56:20 EDT 2004

Terrence Martin <tmartin at physics.ucsd.edu> writes:

> So I installed my PVR250 last night. Probably too late actually. Not
> generally a good idea to do hardware when you are tired, but oh
> well. :)

I prefer to deal with hardware when I'm drunk. :)

When I replaced my Mythbox's old Athlon 1800/Tyan 2460 mobo with a P4
3.2/Abit IC7-MAX3 last week, I found the Intel heatsink way too loud
to be acceptable in a home theater environ, so I ordered a
Coolermaster Aero which arrived last Friday.

I prepared myself for the switch with a Dortmunder followed by an IPA,
and then got down to removing the Intel heatsink.  It turns out that
the socket 478 heatsink clamp is essentially irreversible on the Abit
board because of the stupid ass power distribution cooling tunnel.

So here I was, yanking on the Intel heatsink to dislodge it from the
board, all the while screaming obscenties ("You f***ing piece of s***!
Goddamn it, come OFF!!!!!") at the top of my lungs.  I pulled out my
screwdriver and attempted to pry it off.  After about 5 minutes, I
finally dislodged one of the two stuck corners, got the other loose
with one valiant pull, and threw it across the room at hypersonic
speed.

Does anyone want to buy a slightly-dented Intel OEM heatsink?  I heard
Ebay's opening a branch on this mailing list. :)

Cheers,
Kyle