[mythtv-users] Using mythtv as a plain VCR with xmltv but no broadband connection to internet

Daniel Savard dsavard at cids.ca
Thu Aug 12 09:33:04 EDT 2004

Le jeu 12/08/2004 à 08:11, Jimmy Larsson a écrit :
> Too bad, I have no DVB.
> I am just so focused by the feature to be able to tell the "VCR" to
> "always record This Serie and That Program and That Show, no matter on
> which channel and what time".
> Besides from the feature above I will use the mythtv-box as MP3-player
> and DVD-player. The only "online-feature" I really MUST have is to get
> the program table automatically into the box. That is easy with a static
> internet-connection, but as long as I live on the countryside I have to
> stick to my old modem. :/

You can setup your box with the modem to automatically call your
provider when a packet is routed on the ppp0 interface using the
on-demand feature of pppd. You have to setup also the idle time before
closing the connection. It is working fine for more than three years for
my home network. I have a old linux box acting as a router with the
modem for outside connections, a wireless card for the wireless network,
a ethernet interface for the wired network and it is running pppd in the
on-demand mode (the interface is created and useable for routing even if
the connection is not actually made with the ISP) and dhcpd to provide
dynamically addresses to new hosts.

Daniel Savard