[mythtv-users] TV out picture is not rectangular

Hamish Moffatt hamish at cloud.net.au
Tue Aug 10 09:59:18 EDT 2004

I've got an ASUS 9180 Geforce4 MX440 card which I'm using for TV out on
my MythTV pc. The quality is quite good however the sides of the picture
are not straight. The top and the left are not too bad, but the right
hand side is quite shocking.

When I use overscan to make the picture fill the screen, I lose quite a
lot off the edges in the wider parts. Even as much as losing the right
hand border in the watch recordings list, for example.

I was hoping that xvidtune might help, but when I tried it, none of the
adjustments seemed to have any effect. I saw the picture flicker (I
turned on auto mode), but not actually move. Does it have any effect
with TV out usually?

Finally, is there anything that can be done to improve the shape?
Or is it likely that the TV encoder is just rubbish and I should go
buy another card?

I'm using composite out, as S-video isn't too convenient (picture
switched through the A/V receiver, etc). However I could try it
temporarily if there's a suggestion that it might help.

I've tried a couple of different resolutions now and they're much the
same. I usually run 800x600 but just tried 720x576. I'm using PAL output
by the way.

Thanks
Hamish