[mythtv-users] Transcoding to remove commercials in MPEG2 broke

Leo Weppelman leo at wau.mis.ah.nl
Tue Aug 10 09:22:12 EDT 2004

On Tue, Aug 10, 2004 at 07:58:59AM -0400, James Armstrong wrote:
> Is there any way to transcode a mpeg2 nuv file to remove the commercials
> without going to mpeg4 then back to mpeg2? I thought there was a setting
> in the transcoders that used to allow an mpeg2 source to be transcoded
> to an mpeg2 format just to remove the commercials or lower the bitrate
> some. If I edit the 'From MPEG2' transcoder my only option is to RTJPeg
> and MPEG4. I want a file that I can burn on dvd without having to
> transcode again to mpeg2. Am I missing something? Running cvs as of
> yesterday.

There is no easy way AFAIK. I am trying todo the same thing and what I
currently do is:
  1) Add the commercial cutlist to to cutlist
  2) Nuvexport nuv+sql
  3) Cut the thing by hand in avidemux using the extracted cutlist
  4) rebuild the mpeg file (== the nuv file)
  5) Update the sql with a new index
  6) import the nuv+sql into myth

This is a drag, even though parts of the above runs through scripts already.
I am still experimenting with parts of the above, but I am doubtfull if
full automation is possible this way. Part of the difficulty is that avidemux
relies heavily on the gui and the gui can't be turned off.

Leo.