[mythtv-users] MythDVD keybindings

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Aug 9 15:29:45 EDT 2004

Stephen Tait wrote:

> At 11:43 09/08/2004 -0700, you wrote:
>
>> MythDVD has totally different keybindings than MythTV.
>> This is a problem since I want to use the remote for
>> everything, but suddenly the buttons don't do the same
>> actions I want. How do I get around that?
>
> MythDVD uses mplayer (or Xine, or any other video app you care to
> mention) to play back DVD's. You can view and edit the keymaps in the
> config files (~/.xine and ~/.mplayer) to change the keybindings, which
> will take effect the next time the app starts.

Or, if you have xine or MPlayer built with LIRC support, you can specify
a remote configuration for each program in your ~/.lircrc file.  This,
at least to me, is a huge benefit in that instead of remapping a bunch
of keys in a bunch of programs (usually with some clumsy GUI dialog) and
being forced to use only those keys that Myth uses, I can simply specify
the behavior I want for each program to take upon receiving a remote
button press in a single text file which can easily be archived with my
other configuration files.

Note that this is not the same file that Myth uses.  Myth uses
~/.mythtv/lircrc , so you can use a soft link to make Myth and all your
other programs use the same file, i.e.:

ln -s ../.lircrc ~/.mythtv/lircrc

Will make a link from the location Myth checks to the "main" resource
file in your home directory.

Mike