[mythtv-users] Re: no audio with bt878 card

Cory Papenfuss papenfuss at juneau.me.vt.edu
Mon Aug 9 07:14:48 EDT 2004

> Can't disagree with most of what Bruce says, but do we have enough
> information to say btaudio won't work?
> What card are you using?  In /proc/pci (or lspci) what do you see for the
> tuner card?  Do you see two entries, one that says video capture, the other
> audio capture?  If you only see one entry, then btaudio will NOT work.  If
> you see two entries, it MIGHT work....  You will need to select the BT878
> audio driver under the OSS section of ALSA to get the btaudio module
> compiled.
>
> --plh

 	It's necessary, but not sufficient to have the audio device listed in
/proc/pci.  The cards all use the same chip, which has the audio hardware built
in.  Most of the time, the card manufacturer chooses not to connect the audio
input to anything.

 	I suppose there might be some cost-reduction versions of the btxx chip
that don't actually have the audio part on it.  I'm just speaking from my
experience where the module loaded, but nothing came out.  After I soldered it
to the output from the tuner, it worked fine:

http://www.domenech.org/bt878a-adc/index-e.htm

-Cory