[mythtv-users] Pundit SIS video goodness and audio question

Scott catfather at donpoo.net
Sun Aug 8 12:44:48 EDT 2004

On Aug 8, 2004, at 11:27 AM, Dr. Doug L. Hoffman wrote:

> I'd like to see your X config for the dvd-d output. I've been using the
> s-video out and have been quite pleased but I'm always looking for
> improvments :-)

What are you using as a display?

There are two parts to this for me. I use sisfb built into the kernel
to drive the console at 1024x768 at 60Hz. In the xorg.conf I use the
current sis_drv.o to drive the LCD projector at 1280x720 at 60Hz with a
24bit color depth. Because of an odd sync bug that can occur with my
projector (Panasonic PT-L500U) I need to keep my frame buffer and my X
resolution different. Depending on your display type you might want to
try driving both the console and the X server at the same resolution
however. If you're not using the sisfb driver now you might have to
when switching to DVI-D. The svideo out of the Pundit is most likely
handing your tv / monitor / projector a NTSC standard signal (480i) for
the boot process. When switching to DVD-D you'll loose that unless you
also enable the sisfb.

It's important to understand that I have my projector hooked up to the
DVI port on the back of the Pundit using a DVD-D cable. This provides a
digital signal from the SIS video card to the projector with a 1:1
pixel mapping when used at the native resolution of my projectors LCD
panel. In other words, it avoids having to have the tv / projector /
monitor do any kind of signal scaling or up conversion resulting in a
sharper image. You'll want to figure out what the native resolution of
your tv / monitor / projector is.

You'll also see I have CRT1 (the VGA port on the Pundit) forced off at
both the console and in X. There were some notes on Thomas's web site
that indicated that this would help when dealing with larger images and
Xv rendering.

Lastly, there are no mode lines in my xorg.conf config because they
just are not needed. The sis_drv.o picks up the DDC2 EDID data from my
projector and adds the list of timings (modes) to the build in X server
list. This made it dead easy to configure 1280x720 on the DVI port. If
your monitor does not send proper EDID data, and you plan to use other
modes than the known VESA defaults, you might have to setup your own
mode lines. The attached Xorg.0.log contains the mode lines and DDC
data my projector reports.

Good luck and let us know how it works out.