[mythtv-users] Setting up Microtune FM4045 tuner

Hamish Tweedie hamish at hamishtweedie.com
Sat Aug 7 08:57:30 EDT 2004

  I can´t seem to get a microtune 4045 tuner set up and working on my
  FC1 machine that has been set up according to Jarod´s guide.

  I am in a PAL B/G country and have successfully had a PAL I PVR350
  running under the standard ivtv 1.9 RPM from Axel (apart from the fact
  that the picture/sound is off syncing using a PAL I card with a B/G
  signal). To solve this I´ve bought a new I/B/G/Secam PVR 350 which has
  a Microtune FM4045 tuner on it.

  I´ve upgraded ivtv to the 1.10-40_pre2_ck100m version (again using
  Axel´s RPMs). My module.conf file has the following relevant lines:

# ivtv stuff
alias char-major-81 videodev
alias char-major-81-0 ivtv
alias /dev/v4l ivtv
options tuner pal=b debug=1
options ivtv ivtv_debug=1 ivtv_std=2 tuner=45 tda9887=0
options tda9887 debug=1
options saa7115 debug=1
options saa7127 debug=1 enable_output=1 output_select=0 pal=1
options msp3400 debug=1 once=0 simpler=1 simple=0 standard=0x08
add below ivtv msp3400 saa7115 saa7127 tuner tda9887
add above ivtv lirc_dev lirc_i2c #ivtv-fb

  With this I then do a:

/sbin/depmod -a
/sbin/modprobe ivtv
/sbin/modprobe v4l1-compat

  And then run a short script to set the channel and parameters
  consisting of:

/usr/bin/ivtvctl --device=/dev/video0 -u 0xff
/usr/bin/ivtvctl --device=/dev/video0 -p 5  # Have also tried 4
/usr/bin/ivtvctl --device=/dev/video0 -f width=720,height=576
#/usr/bin/ivtvctl --device=/dev/video0 -v input=3,output=1 # Can´t seem
to find a ivtvctl alternative to this ioctl command!!
/usr/bin/ivtvctl --device=/dev/video0 --set-freq=10472

  ivtv seems to load up okay (/bin/dmesg reports ivtv loads okay). When
  I try and capture some video using ¨cat /dev/video0 >
  /tmp/test_capture.mpg¨ a capture occurs but it is just a black screen.
  Given that this is occuring I assume somehow its grabbing from the
  wrong input source, but I´m stuck as to how to correct this (I´ve
  tried using alternative inputs via the ivtvctl -p command but to no
  avail).

  Is anybody able to run their eye over the above and let me know where
  I´m going right or wrong as I´m finding the lack of documentation for
  this version a little difficult!

  Many thanks in advance ...