[mythtv-users] Wireless Keyboards

brian weatherill bweatherill at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 5 21:13:24 EDT 2004

Message: 1
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2004 09:14:36 -0500
From: "Dudley Atkinson" <dudley at jdatkinson.net>
Subject: RE: [mythtv-users] Wireless Keyboards
To: "Discussion about mythtv" <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>

> On Wed, Aug 04, 2004 at 11:30:50PM -0700, Terrence Martin wrote:
> > So question, do mythTV users run with wireless keyboards and if so
> > what are you using? Is RF preferable to IR?
>
> Check out this link:
>
> http://changelog.complete.org/articles/2004/07/06/mythtv-remote-su
> ggestion/
>
> There's a $17 one at NewEgg that works great.

I bought one and love it - looks a lot like the WebTV keyboards.... awesome.

-jd

I actually run BOTH.. And here's why..

I use a USB RF keyboard with a built in mouse (versapoint RF from interlink electronics) because it has a 100ft range.. I also have an IR keyboard to use with my learning remote.. (A Philips pronto pro). I hacked apart the reciever for the IR keyboard and put the LED inside the box behind the little red window in my case and now my learning remote can do anything I could do with my keyboard.. In fact I can even type (albeit slowly) on the remote control if necessary.. This includes reboots and restarting services if required..

I ALSO use LIRC with the Hauppauge remote to perform some functions that you cant do with the keyboard.. (LIRC input is not current application focussed, keyboard input is) But its not really required