[mythtv-users] Install problem

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Wed Aug 4 20:06:32 EDT 2004

On Wed, Aug 04, 2004 at 06:41:02PM -0400, Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
> I've finally dug through all of my other problems, I think, and I have
> only two left; one Myth's apparent fault, and one unrelated:

Well, Murphy states that if I complain about a problem, it will stop
happening.

> 1) ./setup works ok through stage 4, but segfaults when I try to select
> that item from the Pretty Graphical Frontend.  It doesn't seem to be
> leaving a coredump behind, nor any syslog entries, so I'm not sure how
> to proceed.
>
> It *is* complaining that it "can't open /dev/video to probe it's
> inputs", but I've tried running it as root (the MythTV doco is sort of
> thin on which things you should run as root, and the related permission
> issues), and that doesn't help.  My /dev/video is a symlink to video0,
> but when I try changing the card's configured device to /dev/video0, it
> doesn't change those messages.  In fact, it doesn't appear to change at
> all

And indeed, this was because I'd forggten a reboot, and hadn't wired in
the drivers yet.  Fixed.  But I inadvertantly added an extra copy of
/dev/video as a V4L device -- is there anyway to kill that off?

> 2) My output card is a Radeon 9200SE, and the default Xserver on SuSE91
> is 4.3.99.mumble (4.4rc2).  I can't get a GATOS driver build for that
> and if I downgrade the server to 4.3.0.1 (from SuSE 8.1), kdm_greet
> starts dumping out on logins without any more error message than "code
> 125".  <sigh>

I'm back on 4.3.99.X... and it's working.  Can't imagine why, unless
it's cause I hardwired the server to 640.  I can live with 640, for now.

Cheers,
-- jra

	"You know: I'm a fan of photosynthesis as much as the next guy,
	but if God merely wanted us to smell the flowers, he wouldn't
	have invented a 3GHz microprocessor and a 3D graphics board."
					-- Luke Girardi