[mythtv-users] MythTV Setup - Hardware

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Aug 4 19:16:32 EDT 2004

Russ wrote:

> Maarten wrote:
>
>> > I open YaST and it says my PVR-250 card is configured as #0. Therefore
>>
>>> in MythSetup I choose:
>>
>> Mostly, card #0 is not named /dev/video0 /but /dev/video. Check that
>> by running 'ls -l /dev/video*'
>
> Here are the results:
>
> russ at linux:~> ls -l /dev/video*
> lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            6 2004-01-18 15:01 /dev/video
> -> video0
> crw-------    1 russ     video     81,   0 2003-09-23 11:00 /dev/video0
> crw-------    1 russ     video     81,   1 2003-09-23 11:00 /dev/video1
> crw-------    1 russ     root     171,  16 2003-09-23 11:01
> /dev/video1394
> crw-------    1 russ     video     81,   2 2003-09-23 11:00 /dev/video2
> crw-------    1 russ     video     81,   3 2003-09-23 11:00 /dev/video3
> russ at linux:~>
>
> Does this mean that my video is '/dev/video'? Well I changed the
> settings in MythSetup and got the same sesults. Any other ideas please?

It means that your video device /dev/video0 can be accessed through the
alias /dev/video.  Either should work.

If you're still getting "No such device," your drivers are probably not
loaded properly.  Try the IvyTV wiki again:
http://ivtv.writeme.ch/tiki-index.php , specifically make sure you can do a:

dd if=/dev/video0 of=~/test.mpg bs=64k

before trying to get it working in Myth.

Mike