[mythtv-users] GeForce 4 MX 440 - tvout motion

huffman at graze.net huffman at graze.net
Tue Aug 3 09:27:08 EDT 2004

Discussion about mythtv <mythtv-users at mythtv.org> wrote:

> I am using an MX-440 for *HDTV* output (on my dev machine), which is a
> lot more demanding, with no real problems.  Can you try renicing (-10 or
> so) your X server, and -2 or so your mythfrontend?

I will try that.

> How about your encoder settings?  If the bitrate is too high you'll
> consume a lot of CPU doing decoding, with not enough left for proper
> output.  Is your *system* fast enough?  Is the CPU pegged when doing
> playback?

My bitrate is set at 6000000/8000000.  This should *not* be an issue as I have
an Intel P4/2Gig on an Intel 845G MB.  Interestingly enough, it doesn't seem
like this MB does 8x AGP.  :-(  At least a cat of
/proc/driver/nvidia/agp/host-bridge shows this:

Host Bridge:     PCI device 8086:2560
Fast Writes:     Supported
SBA:             Supported
AGP Rates:       4x 2x 1x
Registers:       0x1f000217:0x00000104

> Also try turning on Extra Audio Buffering.

Done - however, it wasn't just the audio that was cutting in and out - it was
like complete stop and start every second.

> OpenGL vsync is a lot more accurate than the old sleep/busywait method,
> but should be virtually identical to the old Experimental AV Sync
> option.  Get it working and your problems should be solved.

Well, I just installed the latest MythTV CVS and when I start, it indicates that
it is using "SGI OpenGL" for sync.  I assume this is good.  It is certainly
working better than when I tried to use the OpenGL sync before ( the cutting in
and out).  Do I need to change anything in the nvidia-settings for this to work
correctly?  i.e.  the "0/SyncToVBlank"?

Just out of curiosity, what distribution are you using?  Which kernel?  I'm
seeing much better performance in Fedore Core 2 w/ the 2.6 kernel.  However,
even when watching DVD w/ this card, it just seems to me like panning and motion
 have a very *slight* artificial effect - not quite as smooth as I'd expect.  In
xine, it's pretty slight, so I'd have to actually hook up an old DVD player to
see if I'm right.

I've been wondering if using something like Gentoo would help, or maybe the
latest 2.6 kernel that has the voluntary preempt.