[mythtv-users] Re: Voluntary Kernel Preemption

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Tue Aug 3 04:52:53 EDT 2004

On Mon, Aug 02, 2004 at 03:43:46PM -0600, John Patrick Poet wrote:
> I was gung-ho to switch to a 2.6.x kernel, because the schedular was
> supposed to be more effecient.  And, indeed Myth HDTV playback did seem to
> be smoother.
>
> This article indicates that it could be a lot better, though:
>
> http://kerneltrap.org/node/view/3440

adventurous FC2 users can test the bleeding ATrpms kernels at

http://ATrpms.net/name/kernel-experimental/

(to be moved to .../kernel-testing/ during the day).

They are based on FC's 499 or 501 kernels that have the voluntary
preemption patch in, but are 8kstack kernels.

I am using these kernels on a non-myth laptop. No real subjective
difference, but YMMV.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net