[mythtv-users] EPIA fan noise ?

Darryl Okahata darrylo at soco.agilent.com
Mon Aug 2 14:56:43 EDT 2004

Stephen Tait <tait at digitallaw.co.uk> wrote:

> >[ There are fanless power supplies, but I'd be concerned about keeping
> >   the M10000, disk, etc., cool.  I thought about using a fanless power
> >   supply with my M10000, but I decided against it, and just shoved the
> >   box into another room.  ]
>
> As my previous posts WRT to EPIA systems prove, I'm no expert, but IIRC
> there's a fair few external PSU's for EPIA's out there that will enable you
> to keep the PSU outside the box, negating the need for a fan. Not as neat,
> but much quieter.

     Yes, but, as I said, the concern is not with keeping the power
supply cool, but with keeping the M1000, hard disk, etc., cool without a
fan.  As you've said, there are a number of external PSUs (and
idotpc.com is one place that sells some, for those of us in the states);
however, if one goes with an external PSU, there is still the issue of
cooling the M10000, etc..  I've thought about going this route, but came
to the conclusion that I'd still have to use a case fan, which would
probably be noisy unless I jury-rigged a speed control (or found a fan
with one), and, even then, it still might be too noisy.

--
	Darryl Okahata
	darrylo at soco.agilent.com