[mythtv-users] Experience with external (firewire or usb) hard drives?

Nathan Richardson nathan.richardson at gmail.com
Mon Aug 2 13:18:10 EDT 2004

How much success has userland had with using external hard drives with
Myth? I'm planning on using a fast internal drive for the live-tv
buffer and an external Firewire box for storage of recordings and
encoding.

Anyone have any idea if this will work without recording or playback
errors? I also plan to access the firewire drives from another PC (it
will be used as general audio/video/data storage for my whole
apartment), but nothing else should be playing or recording video to
it. The drives in the firewire case are decently fast - 2 160gb Maxtor
7200 RPM 8mb cache drives.

There is at least one thread in this list that mentions problems with
a firewire drive, but the problems mentioned there seem to have to do
with livetv playback. Has anyone had experience with using firewire
for recordings?

If not, do you have a random guess / back-of-envelope calculation for
whether this would work acceptably well?

Thanks...