[mythtv-users] ptune.pl user vs. root/mythtv

Nigel Croxon Nigel.Croxon at HP.com
Mon Aug 2 10:16:45 EDT 2004

On Mon, 2004-08-02 at 10:05, Jon McLennan wrote:
> --- Nigel Croxon <Nigel.Croxon at HP.com> wrote:
>
> > Hello All,
> >
> > Question about ptune.pl
> >
> > When I run the program as a regular user, I get a different output
> > and
> > the channel doesn't change.  When I run the program as 'root' or as
> > 'mythtv' user, it works fine.  Log found below.
> > My issue is, as I run the mythfrontend, it doesn't change the channel
> > for me.
> >
> > -Nigel
> >
> > :~$ ptune.pl 2
> > Frequency: 960 15.36
> > Setting msp matrix: input = 3, output = 1
> > :~$ su
> > Password:
> > # ptune.pl 2
> > Ch.2: 54000 864
> > #
> >

> > :~$ sh -x ptune.pl 2
> > + use strict
> > /usr/bin/ptune.pl: line 5: use: command not found
> > /usr/bin/ptune.pl: ptune.pl: line 7: syntax error near unexpected
> > token
> > `('
> > /usr/bin/ptune.pl: ptune.pl: line 7: `use Getopt::Long qw(:config
> > no_ignore_case bundling);'
> >

> > :~$ head /usr/bin/ptune.pl
> > #!/usr/bin/perl
> > #
> > # $Header: /cvsroot/ivtv/ivtv/ivtv/utils/ptune.pl,v 1.12 2003/07/16
> > 03:30:39 pcxuser Exp $
> > #
> > use strict;
> >
> > use Getopt::Long qw(:config no_ignore_case bundling);
> > use Video::Frequencies;
> > use Video::ivtv 0.12;
> > use Config::IniFiles;
> >

> > ATTACHMENT part 1.2 application/pgp-signature name=signature.asc
> >

> You're trying to run a perl script as a shell script. If /usr/bin is in
> your PATH, you can execute it like this:
>
>     ptune.pl 2
>
> or if it's not:
>
>     perl /usr/bin/ptune.pl 2
>
> Jon

> http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

I was using the 'sh -x' as an example to show failure.
I do have /usr/bin in my path for all users.

here is a log, using just ptune.pl without a path.

-nigel

:~$ whoami
croxon
croxon at lawrence:~$ ptune.pl 2
Frequency: 960 15.36
Setting msp matrix: input = 3, output = 1
:~$
:~$ su
Password:
# ptune.pl 2