[mythtv-users] Jarod's guide: Disabling screen saver and enabling autologin

Jarod Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Sun Aug 1 21:02:54 EDT 2004

On Jul 17, 2004, at 19:58, Jeff wrote:

> Friday, July 16, 2004, 2:46:04 PM, Jarod Wilson wrote:
>
>> On Friday 16 July 2004 05:37, Jeff wrote:
>>> I found two little problems with the otherwise
>>> excellent instructions in Jarod's guide.
>>>
>>> The line that reads
>>>    echo "/usr/X11R6/bin/xset -dpms s off" >> /etc/rc.d/rc.local
>>> should be split into two lines, one to turn off dpms and
>>> one to turn off the screen saver.
>>>
>>> I get an error back that says that my server doesn't support
>>> the dpms extensions (perhaps this is an issue with my XF86Config
>>> file) and as a result of the error, 's off' was ignored.
>
>> Hrm. Works for me all on one line...
>
> For whatever reason my system doesn't support dpms.
> Your's obviously does hence, you don't get the error.

Ah, okay, makes sense.

> I found my display was blanking while I was watching recordings
> and when I checked, the timeout was set to 600 seconds. When
> I issued the command without -dpms, it got set correctly to 0
> seconds. Feel free to ignore this, but updating the guide might
> make it work for more people.

I'll stick this in the ever-growing queue.

>>> I found that in order to enable autologin in addition to
>>> enabling it in gdmsetup I also had to go to
>>>   RedHat Control Center->System Administration->Login Manager
>>> Press the AdministratorMode button and enter the root password.
>>> Pick the Convenience tab and enable autologin for the mythtv
>>> user.  I also enabled password-less login for this user, I'm not
>>> sure if this was necessary or not.
>
>> Is this Fedora Core 1 or 2? I haven't ever had to do any of that on
>> FC1, and
>> auto-login works for me just like I wrote it. Still haven't really
>> dug my
>> teeth into FC2 a whole lot. (Been focusing more on SuSE 9.1 Pro and
>> RHEL3
>> lately -- though not for Mythical purposes)...
>
> This is FC1. A pretty vanilla install and then I followed your
> instructions to get myth up and running.
>
> Interestingly, or not, I found that when I commented the kde
> lines out of the apt sources file I got dependency failures trying
> to follow the rest of your guide. I re-enabled those lines and
> everything whet fine after that. Perhaps something is different on
> my system as a result.

You must have installed something from kde-redhat earlier in the
process before disabling kde-redhat, because the only things that
depend on kde-redhat packages are other kde-redhat packages. I did a
clean install not long after your message, and had no problems
whatsoever with the kde-redhat repo disabled from the get-go.

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE
jcw at wilsonet.com

Got a question? Read this first...