[mythtv-users] Lost SPDIF output after apt-get dist-upgrade

Julian Edwards ed at julian-edwards.com
Wed Apr 28 08:25:25 EDT 2004

On Wed, 2004-04-28 at 10:56, Julian Edwards wrote:
> I am currently posting on the alsa-users mailing list to see if I can
> get any help there since mine just won't work for OSS :(

At last I have got this fixed thanks to a very helpful guy on the
Alsa-users list called Peter Zubaj.  This is his response:

=========
"IEC958 Optical Raw Playback Switch" - it is used for AC3 pasthrough

should be muted - for oss emulation, midi playback, wave playback, ..
alias normal ussage

should be unmuted - for spdif blayback (Raw passthrough of AC3
stream through spdif, unaltered spdif playback) using spdif device.

"IEC958 Optical Raw Playback Switch" should be muted in your case,
please mute it.
=======

After I muted it, OSS emulation is fine, yay.  When you use the spdif
interface directly, apparently it sets the levels automatically so you
don't need to worry about unmuting for mplayer/xine/ogle native alsa
spdif usage.

Hope that helps someone else too.
J.
--