[mythtv-users] Transcoding issues resolved

Richard Whittaker rwhittak3 at adelphia.net
Tue Apr 27 22:17:02 EDT 2004

Thanks to a new transcode apt-get rpm (THANK YOU!) and some 
perseverance, I've finally gotten DVD ripping to work properly.

 From the e-mails I've received, I know there are a few other people on 
this list who have encountered the same problems I did, so in the hope 
that I can help you out a bit, here's what I had to do to fix my system.

Even with the newest transcode package (transcode-0.6.12-5.rhfc1.at), 
/usr/lib/transcode/export_xvid.so is a link to 
/usr/lib/transcode/export_xvid2.so.  This absolutely wouldn't work for 
me, so I had to do the following:

#cd /usr/lib/transcode
# rm export_xvid.so
# ln -s export_xvid4.so export_xvid.so

That's all it took to fix xvid for me.  Doing the apt-get install from 
Jarod's guide seems to miss a few packages that are required to get divx 
to work.  These commands will get the packages that contain the needed 

# apt-get install divx4linux
# apt-get install compat-gcc-c++

After that, ripping DVDs to both xvid and divx seems to work for me.

Richard Whittaker

More information about the mythtv-users mailing list