[mythtv-users] Daily use questions: recording settings

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Tue Apr 27 00:52:22 EDT 2004

On Mon, Apr 26, 2004 at 07:00:06PM -0700, Nowhere wrote:

> >If your clock is properly synced using NTP then you shouldn't need to
> >ever start several minutes early on a regular basis.

> I haven't done a thorough check but I noticed at least a couple shows
> that have had problems and I am syncing to the default FC1 redhat
> server.

My machines' clocks are right to within a few milliseconds. I'm
synchronized to within 100us with a tier-3 NTP server that's
less than 5ms away on the 'net.

AFAICT, the Big-3 prime-time network shows
are all dead on. Locally scheduled stuff is all over the map.
Several shows are about 3 minutes off one way or the other.  I
presume that's a result commercial breaks being 4:15 long.

>>Sounds like you've got some clock issues if this happens on a
>>regular basis to you.

It happens to me on a regular basis, and I have no clock issues
unless both the GPS system and various tier 2/3 NTP servers all
have "clock issues".

> Again I'm not sure how many different shows this happens on
> but I am synced and when I check the time on the OSD wrt to
> TVGuide channel it is right on.

And I just checked my clock against my GPS receiver and they
agree to well under 1 second.

> However I have noticed that
> many many shows are not synced to that time (Alias, Everything
> on Disney, the Starwars Cartoon on cartoon network).

It happens to me on several of the locally scheduled shows I
record.  I'm gradually getting the times adjusted so they're
right.  One show starts 3 minutes early and ends 1 minute
early. A different one starts on time but ends 2 minutes late.

So far it looks like they're all exactly the same every time,
so it's not like it's an accident.

Grant Edwards
grante at visi.com