[mythtv-users] PUNDIT spdif optical sound

John Sturgeon john at sturgeonfamily.com
Mon Apr 26 14:08:05 EDT 2004

Hey Adam (and Lori)

If you only use one RCA set (i.e. L/R) for transport, then you're
receiver is Dolby Pro Logic II, not Dolby Digital 5.1.  In order to
receive a DD 5.1 signal, you need a digital input (SPDIF: RCA style, or
optical), Dolby Pro Logic II surround is encoded into a stereo signal
(thus the L/R), and a crossover frequency is set to send lower
frequencies to a sub-woofer.  Pro Logic II does not contain six discreet
channels as does DD 5.1.

John Sturgeon <><