[mythtv-users] system crashed while setting up mysql database... how to reset??

daryl faulds nannyseeker2003 at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 19 05:19:19 EDT 2004

--- jpainter at cox.net wrote:
> Was following Jarod's guide, doing well!  Until...
> # /sbin/chkconfig mysqld on
> # /sbin/service mysqld start
> Set the mysql root password, replacing ROOT_PWD with
> your chosen administrator password:
> # mysql -u root mysql
> mysql> UPDATE user SET Password=PASSWORD('ROOT_PWD')
> WHERE user='root';
> mysql> quit
> I got to the ling for where I was trying to type
> “quit”
> I made 1 mistake, and had horrible misfortune!   I
> didn’t put my password (stupid, it was late, what
> can I say), I just typed the line exactly.
> Secondly, my machine crashed right when I was about
> to type quit.  Now, I cant start the service, it
> just tells me it fails.
> I don’t know how to reset things to try again!
> I have searched around, but I don’t really
> understand mysql at all, I have never used it
> before.  I tried reinstalling the RPM with –force
> and that didn’t help anything.

It (mysql) probably is running. There is a problem
with the Fedora mysqld startup script that declares
"failed" after a changed root password. Nothing wrong
with that, you should change the password.

Try this:
/sbin/chkconfig --list | grep mysqld

you should see this:
mysqld  0:off   1:off   2:on    3:on    4:on    5:on

That shows mysqld should be running. Verify with this:
/sbin/service mysqld status

you should see something like this where #### is your

mysqld (pid ####) is running...

If this checks out, as I suspect it will, try this

mysql -u root -h localhost -p

when prompted for your password use 'ROOT_PWD' as your
mysql password. That is how you set it. If you get the
mysql prompt (mysql>) you are good to go. Now enter

and ignore the failed startup notice for now. As you
can see, it is incorrect. You may want to change your
password to something you like better.

Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Photos: High-quality 4x6 digital prints for 25˘