[mythtv-users] Live Audio

Russ Neufeld russ at neuf.ca
Fri Apr 9 17:49:17 EDT 2004

I'm an IT staffer by profession, but a relative newbie to both Linux and
MythTV, and I'm trying to build my first Mythbox based on Jarod's How-To.

I've got a running system, updated, myth installed and config'd, and most
parts work fine. But I must be missing something, and after too many
evenings (weeks) searching the docs and archives for this list, I've gotta
just ask: how do I troubleshoot my audio problems?

Here's what I've got - Albatron MB (onboard Realtec audio), AverMedia
TVStudio (BT878) card, etc... in a Athlon box.
What works:
    audio playback (MP3, AVI/MPG video, DVD, etc), both inside and outside
MythFrontEnd
    video playback, again, both inside and out of MythFrontEnd

What doesn't:
    Live TV audio - I can hear the audio on the line-in from the tuner card
if I un-mute it, but it's several seconds ahead, of course.

Something odd I've found is that if I load xawtv, it messes up my tuner
(sync is wrong, goes b/w with v-scroll half way up the screen), and mythtv
is then messed up as well and I have to power the system down to reset.
MythTV before xawtv seems fine (besides no audio). I've used Yves Glodt's
script to find options for my vid.card, but it just returns similar stuff to
Jarod's suggestions in his How-To. I've changed my modules.conf file some,
commenting out some options, but it doesn't seem to make any difference.

Can someone help me understand how to sort this out? I've come a long way
since building the box, but still don't know much about troubleshooting this
kind of stuff in Linux.

Thanks.

Russ

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by
stupidity.
- Anonymous