[mythtv-users] Mythtv on an S-ATA box (help!!)

Brian Foddy bfoddy at visi.com
Fri Apr 9 15:53:18 EDT 2004

On Fri, 9 Apr 2004, Franco wrote:

> Hello,
>
> after more than a week of troubles I'm giving up.
> Due to a last-minute unavailaibility of all the pieces I had ordered,
> my mythbox was shipped with a S-Ata 150 GB Barracuda instead of
> the regular 200 GB I asked.
>
> Now the troubles.
>
> FC1 doesn't install from the CD. It says it can't see the hard disk.
>
> FC2 test 2 installs smoothly, but after that I'm lost.
> I can't use apt-get and all the package dependencies are broken.
> I really would't like going through the trouble of rebuilding
> from the sources every single needed package.
>
> Any hint for a quick/easy solution of this case?
> Anyone running Myth on a SATA-only box ?
>
> Franco

Yes, I installed it using Mandrake 10.0 Community on a
single SATA 160GB Seagate, using a Asus Nforce2 MB.  Just because
SATA was a little new, I upgraded to 2.6.4 over the default
Mandrake kernel, but I had no problems, and I doubt it was
necessary.

SATA support probably varies a lot by the chipset used, some are
supported better than others.

The result of my machine was an excellent myth box, using
3xPVR250s.

Brian