[mythtv-users] Re: Channel change - multiple ringbuffers

Boyd II, Willy wboyd at fulbright.com
Tue Sep 30 16:14:52 EDT 2003

I'm willing to bet this would fall in the "not worth the time" category.
The idea of rewinding multiple channels may sound neat, but if you can't
reliably depend on it (only recently viewed channels would have buffers, and
of varying sizes depending on how long you watched), then what's the point?
Plus, creating a new buffer, and/or playing an old buffer, I believe would
bring up the same old problem of the player having enough data to play that
is the generally accepted theory of why things are slow (because admittedly
most of us haven't looked at the code, and the developers have more
important changes to deal with).  Ideally a video buffer should just buffer
video data, there shouldn't be a reason it knows anything about "channel
changes", *except* for that fact that it's cleaner to not allow the player
to rewing across the change.  That, as I understand it, is the reason for
starting a new file.  My intuition tells me there's gotta be a better way,
but i'm not yet to the educated point of being able to give back to the
project (...yet).

- Willy