[mythtv-users] Hardware MPEG-2 decoding with DXR3

Chris Wieringa cwieri39 at calvin.edu
Mon Sep 29 17:25:44 EDT 2003

It seems like quite a lot of work has been done lately on hardware MPEG-2
decoding, with a lot of work going into the CLE266 and PVR-350 decoders.  I
don't have either of these, but have recently acquired a Creative DXR3.  Using
the drivers from http://dxr3.sf.net/ I've gotten kernel modules installed, and
it is pretty much working.  I'm wondering how much programming would need to be
done to get this working with MythTV.  Is the work that has already been done
for hardware decoding going to allow setting an output device for decoding?  If
so, is this just going to be a matter of plugging in which device to send the
MPEG-2 stream to in /dev ?  Or, does a lot of programming need to be done for
each new device?  I'm just trying to find out where MPEG-2 decoding roadmap is
going to, and what would need to be done to get the DXR3 included as a output
device.

Also, kudos to Isaac and the rest of the crew on such a great piece of
software.

--
Chris Wieringa
cwieri39 at calvin.edu