[mythtv-users] Nuvexport, transcoding, and SVCD

Jim Jarrett jarrett at rpa.net
Sun Sep 28 17:22:21 EDT 2003

If I could get some advice/answers on the following, I would appreciate it.

1) If I am running PVR-250 cards, the .nuv files MythTV creates are already
MPEG-2 files.  Yes?

2) Given #1 above, the default values for those files are not correct for
the SVCD standard. Based on a tcprobe of my files, I have a bitrate of
16000kpbs, and SVCD is around 2500 (2520?) kbps.  Further, the audio should
be at a bitrate of 44100 and I have 48000.  Correct?

Would that also explain the enormous size difference in my files vs. a real
SVCD?  'Prox 700Mb for 45 minutes or so vs. 1.9Gb for 1/2 hr under Myth?

3) Therefore, I need to transcode the files to those values to be able to
make a valid SVCD.  Transcoding splits apart the audio and video, resamples
each component to the new specifications you request, and bundles them back
together into a new MPEG2 file suitable for SVCD'ing.  Correct?

4) If #3 is correct, can anyone give me valid command(s) for doing this? Or
pointers to descriptions of the command-line tools that will let me figure
this out?

*Slight UNIX/Linux rant:  Most things I read seem to assume quite a level of
knowledge of a lot of things to make other things work, and that, well,
you're just plain STUPID if vague references aren't enough for you to figure
it out.  I'm a software engineer, have been for 15 years, have done a lot of
MacOS development and now working in Solaris.  All the same OS concepts are
there, just used differently.  I can figure it out if I know what "spells to
cast."  I'm just not a "level 9" spell caster yet....*

5) The nuvexport script is actually a Perl-based attempt to do #4 above.
Correct?

6) nuvexport, however, is :

    -Not designed to work with PVR-250 cards?
    -Not designed to work with MythTV 0.11 tarball; it will only work
     with CVS-based builds, post-0.11?

7) Once I have transcoded a MythTV recording, there are other "things" that
go into making an SVCD.  Under Linux (Mandrake 9.1), what would be the
suggested tools to lay out the SVCD and burn them?

Thanks for the info.  I'm having a great time and actually learning lots
about Linux getting MythTV to work. I just seem to be stuck on some "insider
info."

| Jim Jarrett,Rochester NY      '93 Passat GLX, '84 Scirocco    |
| mailto:jarrett at rpa.net         '81 Rabbit Convertible 16v     |