[mythtv-users] Re: Can't get audio settings to stick w/pvr-250

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Sat Sep 27 22:15:32 EDT 2003

Vinton Coffman wrote:
> But back to the audio, any suggestions.

Sure. This has been bothering me too and I've seen conflicting
suggestions for settings so I did some testing just now. Here's
what I found.

First, I want to note that I did have a couple instances where
the sampling rate showed "32000" when I went back to a profile.
However, I haven't found specific steps to cause this to happen.
I would suggest you go through the profile pages a second time
after saving to verify the settings are as you expect.

Here's what I found when using LayerII audio.

I get slightly slow, low pitched audio at 44100 sampling rate
every time with any viable bitrate. The pitch is a little more
than a musical half-set low (>6%) and the video loses about 3
or 4 seconds per minute. Voices sound slightly nasal, deep and
lazy.

The 48000 sampling rate does not run slow at any viable bitrate.

Bitrates from 384kbps down to 192kbps will playback audio properly.
At 160kbps there is a distinct echo effect. As the bitrate is
lowered the audio problems become more sever. For me, all bitrates
from 32kbps to 160kbps are unusable.

I now use 48000 for all profiles then biterates of 192kbps for Low
and 256 or 384 for the rest. Audio works for all of my profiles now.
YMMV.

--  bjm