[mythtv-users] Double-audio. And yes, line in is muted and set to record.

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Fri Sep 26 12:05:08 EDT 2003

On Tuesday, Sep 23, 2003, at 23:38 US/Pacific, Jarod C. Wilson wrote:

>>> Entering and exiting xawtv clears the continuous playing audio
>>> problem.
>> Good, that's expected.
>
> Now I've got new problems that I'm in the middle of mucking with. Dual
> sound cards... I think I have them set up right, and both are
> controllable via kmix or alsamixer, but I haven't got line in on card
> 2 playing through card 1's output just yet...

Got it. I'm now simply rolling with dual sound cards configured, piping
the AVerTV into the motherboard's Line In, playing everything out
through the Audigy's digital coax output.

For those that care, the Line In on the motherboard sounds like crap
compared to the Audigy's Line In. It sounds to me like the Audigy has a
stereo Line In, while the motherboard's Line In is mono. But mono for
my secondary tuner is better than double-audio...

>>> I need the playback button on lGain checked also.
>> Hmm, yes that sounds right, I wish I had kept notes the last time I
>> went
>> through this.
>>
>>> Yeah, I'm still tinkering a bit.
>> Heh, maybe you post any notes you come up with.
>
> I was thinking I'd probably do that. And contribute some to the
> official docs, if pertinent.

I gave up on trying to get it working with the Line In on the Audigy.
Nothing really seemed to make a heck of a lot of sense, and I just kept
going in circles. Not sure why some Creative cards don't want to
respect the Line In MUTE setting... Instead, perhaps I can contribute
some dual sound card documentation!

>>> I would definitely prefer to do that, but like I said, no msp34xx
>>> detected, so no btaudio. I posted a question about it to both the
>> Might I suggest dumping that card and getting a TV Wonder (not the
>> VE), if
>> for nothing else than the better video quality.
>
> I'm thinking about it. I've already got a pcHDTV on the way (in
> theory, anyhow...), and use of the second tuner for me is rare, so I
> can live with it for now, if I can manage to kludge it into working.

Finally figured out what was up with my pcHDTV not being here yet. My
order didn't go through for some reason... I've got confirmation now
that it will ship today. It will promptly replace the AVerTV card...
Assuming I can get a picture on it...

>>> another go, but thus far, I've been SOL on the btaudio front, so dual
>>> sound cards seems inevitable...
>> Bummer dude.
>
> Yep, at least so far... If I get lucky, everything might be working by
> the time I go to bed...

I actually did get it working before I went to bed. A few tweaks in
alsamixer was all I needed to finish it off.

--Jarod

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

Got a question? Read this first...