[mythtv-users] g400 and 2 different x-sessions?

Ian Westcott ijw1 at pacbell.net
Thu Sep 25 16:38:12 EDT 2003

On Thu, Sep 25, 2003 at 11:42:58AM +0200, Stephan Wentz wrote:
> hi all!
>
> i searched the archives, but never found anything about this...
>
> i'm using a g400 in my myth-box, it's not a dedicated myth-box, bot also
> a workstation sometimes.
>
> now i'm thinking about how i could get these things connected, is it
> possible to run X on port 1, and a second X-Server on port 2, with
> framebuffer-support for mythtv?
>
> i'd really like to get both things working, has anyone ever done this?

I have a.. somewhat similar setup, I think. A G400 with X on one head on
the TV-out, and another X on another head with VGA-out.

Here is an exerpt from a script that runs on boot-up:

    /sbin/modprobe i2c-matroxfb
    /sbin/modprobe mga
    /sbin/modprobe matroxfb_crtc2
    /sbin/modprobe matroxfb_maven
    /depot/bin/matroxset -f /dev/fb1 -m 0
    /depot/bin/matroxset -f /dev/fb0 -m 3
    /depot/bin/matroxset -f /dev/fb1 2
    /depot/bin/fbset -fb /dev/fb0 -a 640x480-60

TV-out on head 1, VGA-out on head 2, two different servers.

The biggest difference in the two XF86Config files I used was that the
TV-out version had the following lines in the video card device section:
       Option      "UseFBDev" "On"
       Option      "HWCursor" "Off"

Each used their own custom resolutions.

matroxset and fbset are two programs that came with mplayer.. a fact not
mentioned in some of the FAQs I read about this subject. :)

Hope this helps.

Ian