[mythtv-users] Re: Mosix and Epia-M

Chris Petersen lists at forevermore.net
Thu Sep 25 14:48:17 EDT 2003

> It sounds very interesting.  If this works there is no end to what can
> be done.  I can see it now build a cluster of 486s as a single mythbox.

Well, mosix works based on threads, so the encoder would have to be
smart enough to create enough encoding threads, which is not going to be
efficient for live-tv recording, or even transcoding individual files.

mosix sharing was designed for hefty number crunching with low data
throughput, like SETI or RSA-breaking stuff.  Doesn't work so well for
multimedia purposes, though MFS (mosix file system) is supposed to help
make this more feasible.

-Chris