[mythtv-users] Specific steps to nuvexport (DivX format) and systemlockups

Aran Cox spin at avalon.net
Wed Sep 24 11:06:55 EDT 2003

On Wed, 2003-09-24 at 09:41, l.heer at gmx.de wrote:
> > > At some point, the system locks up completely and then reboots itself (I
> > > have the machine, which is remote, set to reboot itself after a kernel
> > > panic). Nothing shows up in the system logs giving any indication of the
> > > problem
> > >
> > > Am I crazy here and the last one experiencing the problem? Or am I
> > missing
> > > something? This is my last step to complete my remote use of the box, so
> > > any tips or solution would be greatly appreciated.
> >

> > I don't recall anyone experiencing this problem... a bunch of people had
> > problems with ffmpeg 'stalling' (it never got past video frame #3), and
> > that
> > problem seems to have been resolved by downgrading to ffmpeg-0.4.6, but I
> > don't recall anyone else having a full machine lockup (reboot??!!).  You
> > may
> > be having heat problems.
> >

> Maybe it is a power-peak-problem? With my epia in this problematic
> Morex-case and it's power-supply I have nearly the same problem...
>
> Ripping a CD... ends in reboot...
> Viewing a DVD ends in reboot...
>
> And I couldn't see anything in the logfiles...
>
> I'm just waiting for my ordered power-supply.
>
> Lars

Lars is right, you should try some other CPU intensive applications
(like using mencoder to transcode the nuv/mpeg2 files, or making mp3s,
compiling kernel or other large software app in a loop, etc.) and see if
it locks up the machine in the same way.

It's pretty unlikely that nuvexport/ffmpeg could trigger a bug that
another application couldn't.

Aran