[mythtv-users] transcoding to playback on windows

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Wed Sep 24 10:22:31 EDT 2003

I don't recall exactly when the format changed, but I *think* that the
mplayer/mencoder patch only worked with the 0.9-series of mplayer/mencoder,
and pre-0.11 Myth.  I could easily be wrong, there, though.

> > Currently (again, this is with CVS Myth) the only way I know of
> > to transcode
>
> Sigh, I am not capable technically of dealling with the cvs
> issues, so havn't
> touched it. Guess I'll have to wait for 0.12 then.
>
> > to a Windows-playable format is nuvexport.  This is a perl
> > script that uses
> > ffmpeg and mjpegtools together with mythtranscode's new ability
> > to output raw
>
> Seeing some posts today, I downloaded it, I assume it won't work with my
> current setup based on your previous comments?

Right, you need a recent Myth CVS to use nuvexport.

> > audio & video streams.  It supports transcoding to DivX (.avi),
> WMV, SVCD
> > (MPEG-2) and VCD (MPEG-1).  It will also process any cutlists
> you've set up,
> > so you can cut the commercials out, then transcode to an archival
> > Windows-playable format.
>
> Can I transcode to avi, as I'd prefer to do the editing on my windows box.

Yes; nuvexport can transcode to a DivX (MPEG-4) .avi which should be
playable on Windows.  As to whether you can then edit it on Windows, that
would depend on the particular software package you're using.

-JAC