Subject: [mythtv-users] Question about nuvexport & transcoding in general

Dennis Lou dlou99 at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 23 18:06:43 EDT 2003

From: "Joseph Caputo" <caputo at qedinfo.com>
>Okay, so I've finally got nuvexport & its
>dependencies working.  I've made a
>few 320x240 divx files that turned out pretty
>well, with cutlists process
>and everything.  Then I tried a high-quality
>divx for archiving... my
>capture profile is 480x480, so I told nuvexport
>to create a 480x480 divx.
>What I got was a 'squashed' picture which
>(almost) filled the vertical but
>had black bars on either side.  My question:
>does mythtranscode, when
>outputting raw video, scale the output
>(say, to 640x480)?  In my mind, that
>would explain it.  Can anyone elaborate on
>what's going on?  Or do I just
>need to specify additional scaling options to
>mplayer to present the picture
>correctly?

To answer your questions in order:

mythtranscode does not scale the output.  The
problem is that mythbackend squishes the picture
when you record, and mythfrontend unsquishes
it when you play back.  When you specify 480x480
to nuvexport, you are saying you want to save the
video as squished.  Additional scaling options
to mplayer will present the picture correctly,
but if you want to provide clues for mplayer
to unsquish it, type "256 -aspect 1.333333" instead
of "256" when it asks you for the video
bit rate (you can use values other than 256 if you
want as well).  Or save it as 640x480 and it will
write unsquished video to the AVI.

-Dennis