[mythtv-users] Nehemiah Performance for MPEG-4 Frontend

Larry Matter mythtv2 at matter.net
Tue Sep 23 11:45:42 EDT 2003

I have both an M9000 (Ezra) and an M10000 (Nehemiah).  They seem to play
recodings (including livetv) just fine, both mpeg2 and mpeg4, with no
hardware assist.  This is at a decent quality of 480x480.  The nehemiah
can also handle 640x480 MPEG2, again with no hardware assist, and using
opensource drivers.

Where it has problems is when the OSD comes up. This requires
(appearently) substantial processing power to overlay the OSD on the
video.  But you can make that better (choose fill mode instead of
transparent).  Then it is really only an issue when changing channels
during live TV.

Once you get a cache of shows you want to watch, you will probably find
you don't watch much LiveTV.  So my opinion is that these boards work just
fine as frontends.  They will work even better when MPEG2 support becomes
available for all distributions, not just a few shrink-wrapped ones.

FYI, I have made a frontend only distribution for this hardware, see
http://linpvr.org for more info.

Larry