[mythtv-users] Double-audio. And yes, line in is muted and set to record.

Harondel J. Sibble help at pdscc.com
Tue Sep 23 09:54:43 EDT 2003

On 23 Sep 2003 at 0:24, Jarod C. Wilson wrote:

> Double audio, one version in time w/video, one a bit ahead. Fire up a
> terminal, start alsamixer, verified that line in is muted. Not good.
> Stop Live TV, audio continues. The line in is still on mute. Toggling
> it does nothing. Very annoying.

Jarod, what WM are you using? If KDE, can you post a pic of Kmix? I've had
the same issues with my SBLive cards for years, basically I've found the
following helps.  My setup is slightly different in that I have a Creative
Desktop Theatre speaker system which has a dolby digital amp built in.

I run the channel 1/2 and 3/4 from the soundcard to the amp while my coax to
the amp come from my dxr3. Line from the  TV Wonder goes to Line-in on the
soundcard. This allows me to use both btaudio for mythtv and line-in for
xawtv so I don't have to bother with sox to get the audio output from the tv
wonder when not using myth.

Kmix has the following mixers on my machine

volume
pcm
speaker
line
mic
cd
lgain
ogain
line1
digital1
phonein
phoneout
video

My machine has an ATI TV Wonder and a PVR 250. After each reboot I get TV
audio out of the rear speakers, to get rid of this, the easiest thing to do
is fire xawtv (on the tv wonder) then shut it down and it goes away. The
other way is to click the playback button on either the lgain or ogain
sliders.   However clicking ogain will result in no rear channel audio for
anything else, especially digital cd audio (2 conductor cable from cdrom).

To get standard tv audio (xawtv) on both front and rear speakers I have to
have playback button checked on line, lgain and ogain.

I was playing around with the mixers a couple days ago and there are other
weird interactions with pcm and cdaudio that I haven't quite sorted out yet.

Note in all cases the record button is set on the line slider.

> mute settings are for line in. Can anyone confirm that, and/or give me
> insight into a way around it?

Not sure if my sblive5.1 will respond the same as your audigy, but at least
this gives you some suggestions for experimentation.

> In the mean time, I think I'll just simply re-enable the motherboard's
> onboard audio, and use the onboard line in port. Dual sound cards...
> There's something I have yet to try... Oh joy...

Been there, done, that, switched to btaudio!

--
Harondel J. Sibble
Sibble Computer Consulting