[mythtv-users] Lirc is driving me crazy

Jason White axtools at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 22 13:05:49 EDT 2003

I had similar issues.  What I ended up doing was following all of
Jarod's instructions to get pretty much everything working EXCEPT for my
framebuffering.

I was hoping that I'd be able to just modprobe the drivers but it seems
like there's a few of them missing from Axel's default config.  I'd also
seen only marginal success in different postings from people who had
loaded the drivers as modules instead of compiling them into the kernel.

I then grabbed Axel's kernel source RPM:

http://atrpms.physik.fu-berlin.de/dist/rh9/kernel/kernel-source-2.4.20-2
0_29.rh9.at.i386.rpm

I did the typical make mrproper, make oldconfig, etc.  I ran xconfig and
added all of the required drivers (there's several links/postings with
this list).  Before rebuilding my kernel and modules, I edited the
Makefile to remove the "custom" from the name so that the new
kernel/modules would be compatible with the ones I'd already installed
via rpm.

Once installing that new kernel, everything started magically working.
I was able to get the TV out working with calls to fbset.

That said, I now have it working but am not completely happy.  After a
lot of tweaking it's still not what I'd consider "good quality."  If you
make any progress here, please let me know!

Also, feel free to ask more questions.  This was my biggest stumbling
block for getting my system up and running.

Jason