[mythtv-users] Almost got my LIRC problem

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Sun Sep 21 01:25:24 EDT 2003

On Saturday, Sep 20, 2003, at 06:27 US/Pacific, Shay - MythTV wrote:

> At 01:41 AM 9/20/2003, you wrote:
>> On Friday, Sep 19, 2003, at 14:40 US/Pacific, and wrote:
>>
>>> Don't you have to also to /sbin/chkconfig lircd on to have it
>>> automatically start?
>>
>> Yes, definitely do that if you didn't already.
>
> I did, but then at startup I have problems like before.

Crap.

>> So I'm confused now. Do you have any lirc source-based install, or
>> only rpm at this point?
>
> no source installed, just rpm and whatever comes with mythtv-suite
> which I need to remove.

Actually, if you upgrade to Axel's lirc rpm, it should simply replace
all the previous stuff, so that shouldn't be necessary.

>> Sounds like it is working...
>
> Yup, she works.. just can't get it to work at startup

Very odd.

>> What web site? I have but a page on Mark Cooper's site... :)
>
> Great webpage?  :)

Danke. :)

I'm sorta stumped right now. Your modules.conf file looks correct, and
it sounds like all the lirc files are the right ones. You could try
just about any of them throwing a -v flag to get version numbers, just
to double-check. (ex: 'irxevent -v' should spit out 0.7.0).

It seems that for some reason, things are just not loading in the right
order. It seems that possibly, for some reason, your ivtv card isn't
being initialized soon enough, so its i2c bus isn't found for lirc.
After further pondering, I thought of a few things that might getcha
goin':

1) Try renumbering the lirc rc script in /etc/rc5.d/ from whatever it
is now (mine is S90lircd) to S99lircd, so it is one of the last to load
up. Reboot and test...

2) Add the hackish "/sbin/modprobe ivtv" to the top of your lircd init
script in the start section, to force ivtv to load up before lirc. It's
a pretty brutal hack, but if this doesn't work, then I dunno... Reboot
and test...

I'm still stumped as to why things aren't working already though...

--Jarod

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

Got a question? Read this first...