[mythtv-users] RH9 Nehemiah w/ PVR-250 FE&BE distribution

Jamison Wilde jamison_wilde at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 20 18:22:35 EDT 2003

I *almost* have my setup working, with M10000 &
PVR-250.  I was wondering if anyone would be
interested in it if I put together a binary
distribution. Since we have identical hardware, and
getting it setup isn't easy, it would make some sense
to me.

What it would include:
* All necessary patches applied to kernel, including
v4l2, lirc_dev, etc. so that devfs is not
needed(causes problems with RH9).
* Fully setup via/via_v4l_drv drivers.
* Fully set up ivtv PVR-250 including lirc, with all
modules auto loading.
* Working version of MythTV w/ compression, starting
as a service.
* Alsa-Sound w/ SPDIF outputs available.
* Working VeXP with libDVDcss

What would need to be done:
* Running myth setup to set the proper zipcode/cable
info, mp3 dirs etc..
* Add in external changer stuff.
* mount any external file servers.

So far what I've needed to do to get this far:
* change lirc_dev.c in lirc-cvs to not use DEVFS.
* delete /dev/lirc and mknod a new one for grey
remote.
* Apply the bytesex.org V4l patches to kernel. Also,
some patches were rejected, so had to hand apply them.
* Rebuild kernel, removing 'custom' from Makefile.
* For SPDIF output, had to unmute IE958(?) and set
IE958P to zero.
* Had to fiddle around with libdvdcss to get it to
decrypt DVD's in VeXP.

I'm still having some issues with getting ivtv and via
v4l to play nice together, but hopefully I will fix
them this weekend.

Since it would be large (hundreds of megs) I would
need to figure out how to distrib. CD's or newsgroups
come to mind...

Let me know if anyone would be interested.

Thanks.