[mythtv-users] First time MythTV project questions?

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Sat Sep 20 01:06:45 EDT 2003

On Friday, Sep 19, 2003, at 10:32 US/Pacific, Boyd II, Willy wrote:

> Nevermind I believe I answered my own question by reading GrandTec's
> site
> (the makers of the Ultimate XP Pro)... basically looks like with the
> Audio
> Authority (or their HiVision VGA to Component) I get higher real
> resolutions, at the sake of needing the right modeline.  No?

I believe the UXPP simply converts everything to a standard NTSC
signal, so all you get is a 480i image, regardless of the resolution
you're running (which is typically limited to 640x480, 800x600 and
1024x768). You can get significantly better resolution with the AA (or
similar), along with a progressive-scan signal, which looks worlds
better, especially when it comes to text on screen. There isn't much
difference when watching standard TV (NTSC is NTSC), but you definitely
notice the difference with HD content and DVDs (or divx files ;).

> Playback of DVD's : you might not be 100% thrilled with the quality of
> output of S-Video if you are used to higher quality from a DVD player
> with component out.

Exactly why I still use my X-Box for DVD playback (w/the HD kit).
Though now that I have my MythTV box hooked to the TV w/an AA, that
might change...

> The results of other discussions here recommend an
> Audio Authority VGA to Component converter.

Audio Authority 9A60, available on eBay for not a huge amount (ballpark
$60-70, supposedly), or brand new from Pacific Custom Cable for $108. (
http://www.pacificcable.com/ ).

> This can be painful to get working

YES. I put in about 10 hours on it, but then I didn't have a clue what
the hell I was doing going into it. The amount of difficulty will vary,
based on your TV and video card, as not all TVs can accept the same
modelines, and not all video cards can use the same modelines... I will
most likely write up what I've done when I've got the time.
AVSForum.com is an excellent resource, though there is a TON of stuff
to wade though (that's part of what took me so long).

> but has much better quality output than S-Video.

MUCH, MUCH, MUCH better.

--Jarod

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE