[mythtv-users] Hard disk speed needs for MythTV system

Itai Tavor itai at iinet.net.au
Fri Sep 19 20:09:48 EDT 2003

Hi,

I got a MythTV system based on an EPIA M10000 (Nehemia) and a PVR-250,
and I'm planning to add a 2nd tuner card - either another PVR-250 or a
bt878 card.

Currently the system uses a WD800JB hard disk (Western Digital 80Gb,
7200RPM, 8 Mb buffer). To lower heat/power consumption/noise/cost, I
want to replace it with a 5400 RPM Seagate, but I'm worried that the
slower drive might bog down the system. I'd like to be able to
simultaneously record 2 channels and watch TV or movies.

Any advice?

TIA, Itai