[mythtv-users] OT: Way way OT DVI to HDTV

mark at zzo.com mark at zzo.com
Thu Sep 18 16:41:15 EDT 2003

I believe the only difference between PC DVI & 'Video' DVI is
PCs output a RGB range of 0-255 (0 = all off, 255 = all on) while
consumer video DVI uses a range approx. 16-240 (can't remember the
exact #'s but it's something like that)....
SO you PC sends '16' expecting 6.27% on & your TV will interpret that
as 'all off' - & same deal at the other end of the specturm - PC sends
240 expecting not quite all on while the TV interprets that as all on.
Some higher-end projects have a setting to choose 'PC' or 'Video' settings
for their DVI input to account for this mismatch...
	Mark