[mythtv-users] Sound not in sync

Ray Olszewski ray at comarre.com
Thu Sep 18 10:11:45 EDT 2003

At 05:21 PM 9/18/2003 +0200, Manuel Vazquez wrote:
>No, I use a Hauppauge card as tuner. So I have to connect the sound out
>of this card to the line in of my sound card. I have no other
>possibility, except of using the sound directly from the tv card over
>the pci bus. Shall I try this? I've read about that I thing in the
>MythTV documentation.

You mean btaudio, I think. Depends on the card; very few vidcap cards
actually support btaudio. The jumper-cable approach you are taking really
is the standard one for bttv cards (not ivtv cards, though).

>Could it be, that my computer is too slow? It's a PIII with 512 MB. So I
>think not.

The amount of RAM does not tell us the speed. The slowest PIII I have is
around 500 MHz, and it would be too slow to capture decent video with a
bttv card. But speed problems do not, in my experience, manifest themselves
as audio-sync problems but as dropped video frames. In any case, though,
asking us if a system is "too slow" without mentioning its clock speed is
pointless.

>  Please help, I wanted to get all running before the weekend

Isaac referred you to tha main section of the MythTV HowTo that discusses
audio. That section cross-references you to a portion of the
Troubleshooting chapter with more info. I'd read your earlier messages as
saying that you'd done all of that, though. If so, please be more exact in
describing the problem.

What does "not in sync" mean, exactly? Is audio early or late? How far out
of sync? Does it show up in both live TV and playback of recorded material?
Does the problem occur right away or does the sound drift more and more out
of sync over time?

If you play non-Myth video (through xine or mplayer, say) do you see
similar sync problems? If you watch true "live TV" using, say, xawtv, does
it also hae a sync problem?