[mythtv-users] optical vs coax (was My Ultimate Mythtv?)

Per Åge Sørvik peraage at leneogperaage.com
Thu Sep 18 12:12:18 EDT 2003

Jarod C. Wilson wrote:

> On Wednesday, Sep 17, 2003, at 23:58 US/Pacific, Per Åge Sørvik wrote:
>
>> Yes, but then you are talking about an error situation. My point here
>> is that conversion from electrical to optical isn't a lossy operation
>> in itself, as was implied in your original statement ("is bound to
>> have a wee bit more loss of signal"). BTW, the signal that goes out
>> on the coax cable also goes through a translation, albeit not a
>> change of physical media.
>

> I have to admit I started down this road based solely on the comments
> of an audiophile friend whom I trust (mostly), and he swears coax is
> better. To me, the difference between the two is indistinguishable. My
> friend is also the same person that used to do ogg encodings of all
> his music at something like 512, but stopped and switched to flac,
> because he was still concerned about loss...

It's a typical audiophile argument, but usually not coming from people
with an electronics background. Thats why I have to disagree with it ;).
It's a bit funny really, because I was a little bit into the audiophile
thing for a while myself, but after some years of education within
electronics and computer technology, I found most of the claims where
opposing my education...

>>> Not sure.
>>

>> Well, I'm pretty sure, but I'm to lazy to check it out :)
>

> I did a cursory search for info (5 second googler) and didn't find
> much of anything on the topic.

Guess you'll have to trust me, then :). Singlemode is usually used for
long distance connections, like 50kms or so, without repeaters.

>> I guess the case of availabilty of high quality long optical cables
>> for toslink is what keeps them out of use. High quality coax cables
>> are  much more readily available.
>

> Price is probably a big factor here...

Definitely

--