[mythtv-users] I hate when this happens

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Tue Sep 16 19:24:50 EDT 2003

Chris Petersen wrote:
>>This has been on my to do list for awhile but my backends
>>don't crash these days so it hasn't been a high priority
>>for me.
>

> There were two issues here, actually...  the second stemming from the
> first.
>
> The main issue is that when the backend goes down, the recording is
> stopped and then overwritten when the backend comes up (as opposed to
> just continuing at the end of the file where it left off).

It is not practical to append the file and make sense of the
timecode and audio stream. Writing a seperate file is unambigous.

> The secondary issue was suggested because a number of us have had this
> happen not when the system goes down, but when we restart the backend
> program.  As a solution for this, it was suggested that the recording
> process be spawned separately, such that a backend restart wouldn't
> affect any in-progress recordings.

Then the backend really hasn't shutdown and I haven't fixed
the problem that I needed to fix when shutting down the backend
(lost audio buffers, VIDIOCSYNC, whatever). When the master
restarts it kicks off any recordings that should be in progress.
How would it find all the orphaned processes on the master and
slaves that might be writing the same file and how would it grab
the device files that were already busy? If I deliberatly restart
the backend I'd want a fresh start for the recordings without
overwriting the previous portion. If the recordings where going
along nicely and I wanted an unblemished file I wouldn't restart
while it was recording.

--  bjm