[mythtv-users] I hate when this happens

Jarod Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Tue Sep 16 15:02:55 EDT 2003

On Tuesday, Sep 16, 2003, at 09:21 US/Pacific, Joseph A. Caputo wrote:

> On Tuesday 16 September 2003 08:10 pm, Chris Petersen wrote:
>>> At this point, I'm completely annoyed by the lack of your
>>> imagination that you can not extrapolate the real problem
>>> from simple description of the problem, which is that, the
>>> restarting of mythbackend kills ongoing recording without
>>> any user intervention.
>>
>> I think you missed the "tongue in cheek" portion of his message.
>>
>> Anyway, I'd also like to see this problem resolved, especially if it
>> would help to have recording spawned to a second thread (which would
>> be
>> separated enough form the main backend thread so that restarting the
>> main backend thread wouldn't kill the recording thread).  It would
>> help
>> on multiproc/hyperthreaded machines, and also allow ps to show
>> immediately if a recording is happening.
>
> Unless I'm mistaken, threads don't work that way... if you kill the
> main
> process, it kills *all* the threads.  The way to do what you want
> would be to
> spawn off an instance of a recording application, which would be
> problematic
> and of limited benefit, IMHO.

Yes, it is possible to fork off a new process that isn't a child of the
main process. All children get killed, but if you split the recording
process off, it won't be killed. I think were just dealing with
semantics here (new thread versus new process). I'm not sure what the
correct way to say all this is, but I know that it can be done. :)

--Jarod

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

Got a question? Read this first...