[mythtv-users] MythTivo New Release

Lee Nash lee at compucrew.com
Tue Sep 16 17:13:12 EDT 2003

Quoting Shawn <core at enodev.com>:

> Can someone who actually uses mplayer/TiVo correct me if I'm wrong in
> that S2 uses some sort of encryption which must be turned off in order
> to use mplayer/TiVo, thus making previous recordings un-playable on
> either TiVo or mplayer/TiVo?

DirecTiVo's and S2 units use encryption on their streams.  So you have to
disable this in order for streams to be extracted (via vserver,mfs_ftp,etc).
The code to disable this is a kernel module, so if you want to view your
encrypted shows on the tivo you have to rmmod that module.  Just remember to
put the module back in after you've watched the show.

You can use MythTv to record these old shows from your DirecTiVo.  Once
you have all your encrypted shows saved off, then you don't have to worry about
adding and removing the kernel module.

-lee